Running a business is more than balance sheets and bottom lines. Factors outside your business walls plays a tremendous part in the formula for your success. It’s as much about the tangible elements – utilities, roads, schools and parks – as it is the intangibles – a community’s work ethic, the weather, the quality of life – that can influence a business growth or relocation plan.
Sussex County is an attract your workforces unique place where living, working and playing are equally important — and tightly connected — pillars that support our economy and a treasured way of life that we call the Sussex Experience.
We invite you to learn more about Sussex County! With active communities, thriving businesses, and quality schools, Southern Delaware is a welcoming place to visit, work, and live. Sussex County boasts a lifestyle and taste that fits all interests and needs, including quaint farming communities, bustling beach towns, wide-open spaces, and bustling urban centers. It’s that same mosaic of rural and urban lifestyles that draw so many people to Sussex County year after year.
Sussex County is a rich environment for what is now a $1 billion agriculture industry, but you don’t have to till the soil too deeply to see that other industry has taken root here, and flourishes in our business-friendly, can-do economy. Besides agriculture and tourism, manufacturing, healthcare, retail, real estate/construction and education are strong sectors within our economy, offering career paths and job opportunities to anyone who wants to make a good living in a place with a great quality of life.
Learn more about the business environment here in Sussex County by visiting Business Ecosystem.
The tide is always high with unique places to see and exciting activities to do in Sussex County – summer, spring, winter or fall! Here in Southern Delaware, our visitors and residents enjoy:
- Nearly 25 miles of pristine Atlantic Ocean beaches, great for swimming, surfing, or just soaking up the sun
- 5 gold medal winning state parks and 1 national wildlife refuge, with camping, hiking, kayaking, windsurfing, fishing, swimming, bird watching and so many more activities
- More than a dozen museums that take visitors back in time to learn about Sussex County’s collective history, from the indigenous Nanticoke tribe and the arrival of Dutch and English colonists to the area’s maritime history and local farming communities
- 17 public and private golf courses that offer lush greens, fresh air and plenty of opportunity to improve your swing
- More than 20 inland freshwater ponds, many off the beaten path in a pristine, rural setting
- 14 public libraries that bring the world of literature and 21st century information right to your fingertips
- 5 craft breweries, 2 distilleries, and 2 wineries offer tastings and a behind-the-scenes glimpse into Sussex County’s newest industry:
- Enjoy the Delaware Beer, Wine & Spirits Trail.
- No. 1 bike-friendly state east of the Mississippi River and No. 3 in the nation
Fine dining, festivals and fairs, and tax-free shopping including outlet shopping and hundreds of specialty boutiques – all year round! No matter the season, there’s always a harvest of happenings here in Sussex County, Delaware!
Learn more by visiting Southern Delaware Tourism.